Small Claims

Homeowners' association Board members frequently ask whether Small Claims Court is an appropriate venue for resolving association disputes, instead of the Civil Superior Courts.  There are certain times when small claims court may be appropriate. Typically, this includes claims against owners for unpaid assessments, fees and/or fines that do not exceed $5,000, which is the limit that an association can recover in small claims court.

SwedelsonGottlieb assists homeowners associations in the preparation, filing, and service of the small claims lawsuit, and the preparation of a case outline to be used at the trial, along with the organization of the exhibits and other materials in support of the association's case.